In five easy steps, you can organize your very own collection drive
Step 1 — Choose what kind of collection drive to hold
- Warm Coat & Clothing Drive
- Easter Basket Drive
- School Supplies Drive
- Holiday Food Drive
- Christmas Gift Ideas
• Warm Coat & Clothing Drive
As the temperature begins to drop, the homeless and those in need are affected first hand. Help us provide warm coats and warm clothing so those in desperate need can bundle up and stay warm this winter season.
Warm Clothing Items Needed
- Warm Coats and Sweaters
- Knit pullover hats, gloves and scarves for men, women and children
- Sizes: Small – XXXL
• Easter Basket Drive
Homeless and needy children need to feel loved and seen as special. Help us share the good news of Easter with an Easter Basket and a few treats to help them remember that they are kids and to have fun.
Easter Baskets and Stuffers
- Medium baskets filled with grass
- 15 Individually wrapped candies (some chocolate)
- Toy, stuffed animal or coloring book with crayons
- Total Quantity Needed: 1,000
• School Supplies Drive
Help us give prepare inner-city youth for a successful start to the school year by giving them the tools to focus on their studies.
- Bibles for Children
- Paper (Binder, Loose-Leaf)
- Glue (Elmer’s & Glue-stick)
- Markers & Highlighters
- Spiral Notebooks
• Holiday Food Drive
Each year, we distribute thousands of holiday food bags to hungry, homeless and at-risk families in the Bay Area. Please help us make the holidays bright for our neighbors in need by donating some items on our shopping list.
Holiday Food Drive Wish List
- 2,50 Turkeys
- 2,500 Hams
- Canned Meats (tuna or chicken)
- Canned Veggies (corn, green beans or peas)
- Pancake Mix and Syrup
- Dry Cereal
- Download a 8.5x11 Food Drive Poster
Download a 11x17 Food Drive Poster
Christmas Gift Drive
Help us make “the season bright” for the homeless and needy by giving Christmas gifts to them. Help us share the “reason for the season” with those in need!
• Christmas Gift Ideas
- Gifts for Boys & Girls Ages 7-16
- Gifts for Men & Women Shelter Guest
Step 2 ‒ How do you motivate your group?
Build excitement, compassion and action
• Competitive: Multiple groups trying to out-do each other.
o Progress-O-Meter: Set a group goal / mini-goal per person and have a thermometer or gauge to show the progress of your drive.
• Compassion: Because of the great need, how could I not give or impact one life?
o Guest Rescue Mission Speaker: come and talk about the Rescue Mission and tell about homelessness, recovery and the great need
• Contribution: Everyone has something to give. Value the act of giving; that’s what counts, not the substance of what was given.
• Social Games & Ice-Breakers
o Scavenger Hunt ‒ Have multiple teams go out and see who can be the most creative on gathering specific items on a list
Step 3 ‒ Promote your Collection Drive.
Spread the word and make it visible
Here are a few Promotion Flyers for you to kick start your drive
8-1/2” x 11”
11” x 17”
Step 4 ‒ What to do once the items are collected?
- Post-drive planning is important.
- Complete Log sheet of volunteer hours
- Complete Log sheet of expenditures
- Assign a team member to deliver drive items and log sheets to the Mission
- Schedule a tour of the Rescue Mission with your Drive team, (contact David Bradley)
Step 5 ‒ What are the benefits of giving special recognition?
Celebrate your team’s accomplishments with a special party, meeting or gathering.
Report on what your team or group was able to accomplish.
Provide a meaningful memento of what was accomplished.
- Trophies or plaques (genuine, fun or humorous)
- Special Recognition or perks
Ready, Set & Go!
Thank you so much for your interest in holding you own collection drive. We wish you “all the best” as you encourage others to care for the homeless and those in-need.
To get started, please fill out our Online Volunteer Form to let us know your plans.